Thursday, May 29, 2014

Prawn, ginger and lemongrass stir-fry

One of my old favourites when I find myself in my beloved Malaysia and enjoy the local free markets. I cannot believe how much would I normally spend in London whenever I shop for Kaffir Lime leaves! Such a rip-off! Say £2,00 at Waitrose of a tuny handful of leaves vs. 3.00 Malaysian Ringgits for the whole bunch!
Well I hope you are luckier than me and if in lack of Lime leaves I have used grated Lime zest. Not perfect but it dies the trick.
Back to the recipe, here's what you need for 4 servings:


3-4 tbsp vegetable oil, 2 tbsp finely sliced or grated fresh ginger, 1 tbsp finely chopped lemon grass, 5 Lime leaves, 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced, 500g peeled green prawns, 2 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp palm sugar, 1 tbsp water, 3 handfuls thai or sweet basil

Heat oil in a wok. Once oil is shimmering add ginger, lemon grass, lime leaves and garlic and fry on high for 2-3 minutes. Be careful not tu brown the garlic!
Add prawns and fry for 2 minutes. Add fish sauce, palm sugar and water and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat, toss through basil and serve with rice or noodles of your choice. 

No comments: