Monday, September 13, 2010

ooooh curries!

Making Massaman Curry and lentil dahl (my style) 

Ooooh curries! There’s nothing better that that fragrant smell of spices in the kitchen. I tend to prefer thai-style curries to Indian ones because are more delicate and a touch sweeter, and, I am totally in love with that final touch of toasted cashews and fresh coriander right before serving a meal. Pure bliss.
Today I am making some slight variations to the recipe. I have run out of coriander so I am using basil leaves from my plant, and I have some bok choy leftovers as well: I am sweating the chunky bits together with the aromatic ginger, the onions and chillies and will be adding the softer leaves toward the end of cooking time. Whatever variations I make to curries, my kitchen always smell lovely! Right, here’s my ingredients list:

2 tbs vegetable oil, 3 tbs massaman curry paste, 2cm slice root ginger- minced, 500 gr chicken breast-cubed, 3 tbs sugar, 3tbs fish sauce, 3 cups peeled and cubed potatos, 400gr tin coconut milk, 3 tbs fresh lime juice, 2 fresh chillies, 2 bok choy, cashews, basil leaves.
Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in curry paste minced ginger, bok choy and onions, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the cubed chicken, and cook until the pieces turn white on the outside, about 3 minutes. Stir in sugar, fish sauce, potatoes and coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender and the chicken pieces are no longer pink in the centre, about 20 minutes. Add the lime juice and cook for an additional 5 minutes before serving. Meanwhile toast the cashews and chop the coriander leaves (basil in my case!) – Sprinkle on top of each serving and enjoy…

No comments: